Good morning! This is the tech news you need to know this Monday. Sign up here to get this email in your inbox every morning.
Have an Amazon Alexa device? Listen to this update by searching “Business Insider” in your flash briefing settings.
- Google fired a second AI ethicist. The firm fired Margaret Mitchell, the founder and former co-lead on its ethical AI team, following an extended investigation that has kept Mitchell locked out of her corporate account since January.
- A former ByteDance employee claimed censorship. A former employee of TikTok’s parent company ByteDance hasclaimed it tried to develop an algorithm to censor livestreams in the Uighur language.
- Uber lost a key court battle. The UK’s Supreme Courtruled on Friday that its drivers are workers entitled to more rights, rather than contractors.
- Exclusive: Microsoft slammed Facebook’s Australian news ban. In an interview with Insider, company president Brad Smith said he was surprised by the ban and thought it was a mistake.
- MailChimp responded to allegations of gender bias. CEO Ben Chestnut responded on Friday to allegations of gender discrimination and harassment at the company, telling employees in an email that “we have work to do” on pay equity and inclusion.
- Mark Zuckerberg, Jack Dorsey, and Sundar Pichai will testify before Congress. The House Committee on Energy and Commerce will hold a hearing on digital misinformation in March.
- Valve is fighting a subpoena from Apple. The subpoena is part of Apple’s fight with Epic Games, and Valve has refused to hand over certain information about its revenues and the games it hosts.
- Sequoia Capital got hacked. The VC firm told its investors on Friday that some personal and financial information may have been accessed by a third party after one of its employees fell victim to a successful phishing attack, according to a report in Axios Friday.
- We asked European investors to pick the hottest insurance startups. Last year more than $7 billion went into insurance startups globally, according to CB Insights.