Image source: Pixabay
You have just arrived home from work, are extremely tired, and want to watch one episode of your favorite show on Netflix. After switching on your Samsung TV, you realize that you cannot launch Netflix due to a network problem.
Even though you have always done this, you are left wondering about what could be wrong. For some reason, your TV cannot connect to your WiFi network. What do you do? Should you contact your internet service provider?
Well, multiple reasons might lead to such a problem. Most of the time, the fix to this problem might be just fixing your router back to power after maybe a pet accidentally unplugged it. Here are some steps to take if any of your devices are not connecting to your WiFi network:
Check WiFi and Router Issues
Of course, when you cannot connect your device to your WiFi network, the first thing you will want to do is to check if there are any issues with the WiFi network.
You should also check the following;
- Security Key: A sequence or passphrase of digits and letters is used as a WiFi security key. Your device comes programmed to use a Wi-Fi key that your router recognizes. Some routers support a single key while others support multiple security keys. You, therefore, need to make sure that your device is using the right security key. Also, allow the device to remember and auto-connect to your network.
- WiFi Security Mode: Most routers support different security protocols such as WEP and WPA. If you have just acquired a new device that is not connecting to your WiFi network, make sure that you have set the right security mode on your router for the device to connect to your WiFi.
- Network Mode: Always make sure that your router supports the different versions of WiFi that devices in your home use. For instance, if your router is set up to run a network mode such as 802.11g, then it will not support the 802.11b or even 802.11n devices. You should, therefore, set your router to run the mixed network mode.
Finally, if you are connecting with a portable device such as your phone or laptop, move it closer to your router. Sometimes, your signal might be weak, making it difficult for it to reach some areas of your home. If this is the case, then you need to move your router to a centralized location..
Check Device Issues
Sometimes, failure to connect to your WiFi network might be caused by an issue with your device. Some of the most common issues with devices include network adapter problems, software issues, and network settings, among others.
But how do you know if the problem could be a result of an issue with your device? Well, if you have always connected the same device to your WiFi network without any problem, then chances are very high that the problem is with your device. Here are some steps to take;
- Fix your network adapter: One way of fixing the device issues is checking whether there is any problem with your network adapter, especially on devices like computers. If the adapter is somehow not enabled, turn it on. Follow this guideline to fix your network adapter issues.
- Restart your device: As simple as this sounds, it is one of the best and most common ways of troubleshooting WiFi connection issues with most devices. It is actually the first thing you should do.
- Check your network settings on the device: Even if you have been connecting your Samsung TV, for instance, to your WiFi network before, an update might have changed its network settings. If your Samsung TV won’t connect to WiFi, explore all the options you could try and then restart the TV. You can do this for any other device.
- Update network drivers: This is mostly a solution for those who cannot connect to their WiFi networks using their computers. When your network drivers are outdated, you will have issues connecting to any network. Updating the drivers solves this problem for you.
- Hardware or software problems: Sometimes, a hardware problem, although not very common, could be the cause of your problems. If your device has grown old, some hardware components such as network adapters might stop working. You might have to replace them. If it is a software problem, for instance, an outdated Windows OS, you might have to update your machine to the latest Windows 11 for an improved experience.
Looking at most of these fixes, you do not have to hire someone to take care of them for you. These are things you can do on your own. If you are not sure about any of the fixes above, you can find a lot of resources on the internet with a detailed step-by-step guide.